Register of Deeds FAQ - Tuscola County

Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. How do I change the name on my deed?

    A. Individuals interested in changing the ownership listed on their deed should consider one of the following options:

    - Contact an Attorney familiar with Real Property Law in the State of Michigan
    - Contact a local title company
    - Acquire and complete a blank deed to have recorded at the Register of Deeds Office. Blank deeds found online may or may not conform to recording requirements. Click here to review a Sample Quit Claim Deed Form.

    The Register of Deeds office does not supply blank deeds or offer advice on the preparation of deeds.

    Q. Who can get a copy of my deed (mortgage, etc.)?

    A. Anyone. Once your document is recorded, it is a public record.

    Q. How do I get a copy of a recorded document?

    A. You may obtain a copy online or by coming to our office. We need the liber & page where the document was recorded; or, the year, the parties names, and the legal description in order to find the document.

    All copies are $1 per page and must be paid for at time of purchase.

    Q. Can the Register of Deeds office prepare my document, assist me in its preparation or give me the forms to use?

    A. No. We do not prepare (or change) any document, nor can we provide legal advice in their preparation. Forms are available at office supply stores.

    Q. Can I record a "true copy" of a court document or a death certificate?

    A. No. Only certified copies of court records with the court seal and certified copies of death certificates with the County Clerk's seal are recordable.

    Q. Can I record a fax or a copy of any other document?

    A. No. Only documents with original signatures can be recorded.

    Q. Can I look up my document by the property address or parcel number?

    A. No. We are not currently equipped to index properties by address or parcel number.

    Q. How can I find out who owns certain property?

    A. Ownership of property is a legal conclusion based upon all available evidence. It is best that the legal conclusion be made by a licensed attorney. If you would like to reach this conclusion yourself, without assistance, check the land record search on this site.

    Indexes are available starting with December 1, 1988 and forward online and in our office. For records prior to December 1, 1988 you may examine the index books online or in our office vault. All indexes are by grantor/grantee (names). You can consult with your township, city, or the County Treasurer to find the taxpayers name and the County GIS department can tell you whose name shows for a particular parcel under the Fetch GIS system. The Register of Deeds office cannot verify ownership.

    Q. Can you tell me when my house was built?

    A. No. The records in the Register of Deeds office only pertain to land, not structures.

    Q. Do you have a survey of my property?

    A. Only if it has been surveyed and the survey recorded. The majority of property has not been.

    Q. What is the purpose of recording a document and what do you do with it?

    A. The purpose of recording is to make a public record of the transaction. It is indexed and scanned for permanent record. Microfilm copies are made from the scanned image, local government is apprised of land transfers, and recording information is posted on our public search stations and website. The original document is then returned to whomever is designated by the filer.

    Q. Will the Register of Deeds Staff perform title searches?

    A. The Register of Deeds office is not staffed to perform complicated or extensive searches. However, they will perform simple searches for a nominal fee.

Tuscola County