Friend of the Court - Tuscola County

Friend of the Court

Friend of the Court provides services to families in domestic relations cases. These cases include divorce, family support, intergovernmental support and paternity cases. Specifically, we assist parties with child support, custody and parenting time issues. We do this by enforcing court orders, collecting support payments, making recommendations for support, custody and parenting time along with providing other services.

We look forward to working with you and your family to ensure that the best interests of your children are met and they receive the financial support they deserve.

Best wishes,

Sandy Erskine,
Friend of the Court Director

Contact Us

There are several ways to contact the Friend of the Court:

In Person/Mail:

Friend of the Court is located on the 1st floor of the Tuscola County Courthouse:

440 North State Street
Caro, Michigan 48723
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

By Phone/Fax:

  • Main Line: 989-673-4848
  • Fax Line: 989-673-4898
  • 24 Hr Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 877-543-2660



Referee Division:

The Referee Division hears motions for changes to custody, parenting time, domicile and child support. It is located in the basement of the Tuscola County Court House

  • 989-673-4848 ext 3200

Enforcement Division

Enforcement Specialists are assigned to cases based on the father's last name. Contact your Enforcement Specialist if you have questions regarding show cause hearings, income withholding notices, employer related questions,or any other question related to enforcement.

  • Amy - 989-673-4848 ext 3732
  • Melanie - 989-673-4848 ext 3210

Interstate/Medical Specialist:

If you have an interstate case and need information regarding the status of your case or have questions regarding medical enforcement contact the Interstate/MedicalSpecialist at the phone number listed below.

  • Jamie - 989-673-4848 ext 3215

Bench Warrants/Locate:

The Bench Warrant Specialist primarily handles questions regarding outstanding bench warrants and is also responsible for locating individuals whose address is unknown.

  • Brad - 989-673-4848 ext 3226

Parenting Time/Custody:

If you have questions pertaining to a recommendation for child custody and/or parenting time or you need information regarding enforcement of your custody/parenting time order, contact the Family Coordinator at the phone number below.

  • Danielle - 989-673-4848 ext 3213

SMILE Program/Joint Meeting Coordinator:

For questions regarding the SMILE Program or to schedule a "Joint Meeting" contact our Program Coordinator at the phone number below.

  • Karen - 989-673-4848 ext 3212

Support Review and Modifications:

The Support Analyst is responsible for initiating child support reviews and making recommendations for modifications of new and existing child support orders.

  • Jana - 989-673-4848 ext 3217


Contact the Accounting Department if you have accounting, foster care, or general questions related to payments made and credits received.

  • Colleen - 989-673-4848 ext 3202
Choose an option from the Information menu.
Choose an option from the Information menu.

How To Pay Your Child Support

In Person

Payments can be made in person at the Tuscola County Friend of the Court office located at:

440 N. State Street
Caro MI 48723
  • Please note that our office only accepts cash, money orders or certified checks.
  • NO PERSONAL CHECKS will be accepted by the Friend of the Court Office.

By Mail

Checks can be mailed to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MISDU):

Po Box 30351
Lansing, MI 48909-7851
  • Please remember to include your name, docket number or social security number, the Tuscola County FIPS code which is 26157 and the Tuscola County code which is #079. Click here for a payment coupon.

By Phone

You can make a payment by phone using a credit card.

  • Call GPS Inc. at 1-888-604-7888 toll free/24 hours a day.
  • GPS Inc. accepts Discover, Visa, Mastercard, & American Express.
  • You will be asked to provide a payment location code which is 1609.
  • Please note that you will be charged a fee to use this service.


Payments can be made online at:

Income Withholding:

If you are currently employed as a w-2 employee, Friend of the Court can issue an income withholding order so that payments are withdrawn directly from your paycheck.

  • Please remember to contact your Friend of the Court Enforcement Specialist whenever you have new employment information.
  • Once you provide this information, an income withholding order will be sent to your employer.


Pay your child support with cash at CVS Pharmacy, 7-Eleven and Family Dollar. Call your Friend of the Court office or visit for more information. You’ll need your social security number and docket number to obtain a PayNearMe pay code. The payment may take 2-4 business days to post to your child support account. A fee of $1.99 per transaction may apply.

Support Enforcement


A Friend of the Court Enforcement Specialist is available to assist you when you have questions regarding enforcement of your child support order. Although the Friend of the Court cannot act as your attorney, we will try to assist you by answering questions and taking appropriate enforcement actions.

A few things to keep in mind:

  • Friend of the Court enforces court orders and does not enforce verbal agreements.
  • Friend of the Court must enforce court orders as they are written. If you believe that your order needs to be modified, please see our web pages entitled "Modify Child Support" and "Custody/Parenting Time" for more information.

Bench Warrants

Bench warrants are issued when a party fails to appear for a scheduled hearing. The purpose of a bench warrant is to bring a party before the court. If you have an outstanding warrant, Friend of the Court will attempt to work with you to resolve this matter before you are arrested. If either party has questions regarding bench warrants, please contact the Bench Warrant Specialist - 989-673-4848 ext.3226 to discuss your options.

Medical Support

Insurance Coverage

All domestic relations orders are required by law to contain a provision for health insurance for the parties' minor child(ren). This provision often states that parents must obtain insurance through their employer if insurance is available at a "reasonable cost". When a party is ordered to provide health insurance, Friend of the Court will send a National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) to the party's employer. However, depending on the party's income and the cost of insurance, the party may or may not be required to carry insurance. If you believe that your employer's insurance is too expensive and therefore not reasonable, you should contact the Friend of the Court. A Friend of the Court caseworker will be able to help you calculate what is a reasonable cost for health insurance coverage based on your income.

Uninsured Medical Expenses

Often times, parties incur medical expenses that are not covered by insurance. You may request the assistance of a caseworker at the Friend of the Court to get reimbursement for your child's uninsured health care expenses. If your court order was entered after October 1, 2004, your order will likely include an "Ordinary Medical Expense" provision (OME). The custodial parent/payee will typically have to show proof that the annual OME amount has been spent before being allowed to request additional medical contributions from the non-custodial parent/payor. Once the yearly OME amount has been exceeded, custodial parent/payee may then request reimbursement using the medical demand form according to the percentages set forth in your court order. (See the "Forms" page).

Medical Enforcement Worker

989-673-4848 ext. 3215

Modifying A Child Support Order

There are three ways to have a child support order reviewed for possible modification:

  1. File a Motion to Change Order; or
  2. Submit a Request for Support Review ; or
  3. At the initiative of the Friend of the Court.

The Friend of the Court is required to review the issue of support when any of the following circumstances exist:

  • If a child is being supported in whole (or part) by public assistance. Public assistance includes cash, food and/or medical assistance received from the State of Michigan.
  • A substantial change in circumstances has occurred, and this change may affect the child support amount.
  • At the direction of the Court.
  • Upon written request from either party. The Friend of the Court is not required to investigate more than 1 request received from a party every 3 years.

If you have questions regarding a support review, you may contact the Friend of the Court's Support Analyst at 989-673-4848 ext. 3217.

Custody/Parenting Time

Enforcement Of Parenting Time Orders

Friend of the Court assists parties in enforcing parenting time orders only through written request. If you have a court order for parenting time and the other party is not complying with the court's order, you may file a Parenting Time Complaint. Please remember that Friend of the Court can only enforce written court orders. Friend of the Court cannot enforce private agreements made by the parties.

Modification Of Custody/Parenting Time Orders

Often times, modifying custody/parenting time orders can be a complicated issue because certain proofs must be made to the court before the court will modify a custody/parenting time order. You may wish to discuss this issue with an attorney to determine how best to proceed. Also, you may wish to review our "Useful Links" page for additional legal resources.

If parties have reached an agreement regarding a modification to their custody/parenting time order, they may enter into a consent agreement.

If parties have attempted to privately resolve their issues but are unable to do so, Friend of the Court may be able to help. Parties may contact Friend of the Court to set up a "joint meeting" with our parenting time coordinator. At this meeting, parties will be given an opportunity to discuss their respective issues in an attempt to reach an agreement. Friend of the Court will only schedule a joint meeting if BOTH parties are willing to attending.

If you have general questions about your custody/parenting time order, or you would like to schedule a joint meeting, please contact Friend of the Court's Parenting Time Coordinator at 989-673-4898 ext. 3212.

Parenting Time Guidelines

For a copy of the Tuscola County Friend of the Court Parenting Time Guidelines please click here.

Domestic Relations Referee

The Domestic Relations Referee assists the Family Division judge by holding hearings and issuing recommendations regarding child support, custody, parenting time and requests for changes of domicile.

The Tuscola County Domestic Relations Referee Division is located at:

440 N. State Street
Caro, Michigan 48723

(located on the lower level of the Tuscola County Courthouse)

Phone Number: 989-673-4848 ext. 3200

Tuscola County