Property Tax Assistance Programs

Property Tax Assistance Programs

The Tuscola County Treasurer's Office is committed to helping taxpayers avoid tax foreclosure and keep their properties. There are some assistance programs to help delinquent property taxpayers. Additionally, it is highly recommended that payments on delinquent taxes are made as often as possible; the best prevention against foreclosure is you making payments.

Property Tax Exemption

Pursuant to MCL 211.7u, eligible low-income homeowners may apply for an exemption from property taxes. An application is valid for one year, and you must re-apply each year for the exemption. Applications are available at your local assessor’s office. For more information please contact your local assessor.

Principle Residence Exemption

If the property is your primary residence and you meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply for this exemption to lower your tax bill. For more information please contact your local assessor’s office or go to

Homestead Property Tax Credit

Michigan's Homestead Property Tax Credit can help you pay some of your property taxes if you are a qualified Michigan homeowner or renter and meet the eligibility requirements. For more information or to apply, visit

Veterans Exemption

If you are a disabled veteran, as a result of service, you may qualify for the veteran tax exemption. Please contact your local assessor for more information regarding this exemption or go to

Personal Property Tax Exemption

The General Property Tax Act provides exemptions for certain categories of personal property including the Small Business Taxpayer Exemption and the Eligible Manufacturing Personal Property and Act 328 – New Personal Property. For more information on each of these exemptions including determining eligibility and how to claim the exemption, visit

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)

There may be assistance through other agencies but most will require you to first apply for assistance through the SER (State Emergency Relief) program at MDHHS. You can contact MDHHS at or by calling them at (888) 678-8914.

Michigan State Housing and Development Authority (MSHDA)

MSHDA has limited funding available in the Helping Hardest Hit Fund for homeowners who have suffered a hardship that is preventing them from paying delinquent property taxes. To find out if you may qualify and for more information contact them at (866) 946-7432.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

If you are a veteran, or a surviving spouse of a veteran, you may qualify for assistance through this program. To find out if you qualify and for more information contact them at (800) 642-4838.

Hardship Extension

The Tuscola County Treasurer offers a Hardship Extension every year, usually in January, giving you more time to pay your delinquent taxes without losing your property. The Hardship Extension Hearing is held at the Treasurer’s Office. If you had an extension last year you will not qualify for one this year. Filing out an application is required, along with the following documents: Proof of income, two years tax returns, copy of driver’s license, utility bill, proof of any other assistance that you are receiving, and any other documents necessary to present your case. Please, contact our office at (989) 672-3890 for additional information regarding date and time.

Tuscola County