Purchasing a Handgun


Currently the Lobby is OPEN
From time to time the Sheriff’s Office lobby may be closed due to COVID. In order to help residents who need purchase permits, gun transfers or have other registration questions you may email Deanna Marshall dmarsh@tuscolacounty.org to set up an appointment, if the lobby remains closed. Please fill in the subject line with “Gun Transfer” or “Gun Registration” and then describe what you need done in the email.

With a Valid CPL

Pistol Sales Record- RI60 should be used. This is a 3 part form- Seller, Purchaser and MSP/Registry copies. Fill in the blanks, make sure the purchaser and seller sign the form. A copy of this form is available through the Michigan State Police website, at the Sheriff’s Office or at gun shops. The MSP/registry copy must be returned to the Sheriff’s Office within 10 days of purchase. You may either drop it off in the lobby or mail it to Tuscola County Sheriff’s Office, 420 Court St. Caro, MI 48723 Attn: Deanna Higley.

Without a Valid CPL

A purchase permit is needed to buy a handgun. If you are buying a gun from an FFL dealer, all paperwork will be completed through the FFL dealer. You must return the MSP copy to the Sheriff’s Office in person or by mail within 10 days of purchase. If you are purchasing a handgun through a private sale or transferring ownership without purchase(example: as a gift or through inheritance), you must obtain a purchase permit at the Sheriff’s Office. You will be instructed on how to complete the form when it is issued. Permits are valid for 30 days. Permits are issued Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm. You must return the MSP copy to the Sheriff’s Office in person or by mail within 10 days of purchase.

You do not need to bring the weapon in for inspection.

You will not receive a receipt or any other form in the mail. Your “Purchaser copy” is your registration. You are required to carry it for the first 30 days after purchase.

Guns purchased Out of State

Guns need to be registered with the state of Michigan once proof of residence (Michigan Drivers license or ID card) has been established. You must obtain a license to purchase for each handgun that needs to be transferred.

Selling a Handgun

Purchaser with a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
  1. Verify that the CPL is valid and has not expired.
  2. Complete a Pistol Sales Record form (RI-60) before giving possession to the buyer.
  3. This form is available at the Sheriff’s Office or can be printed from the Michigan State Police website- michigan.gov/msp . Search for RI-60 form.
  4. Fill in the blanks on the form and have the purchaser sign. You will sign and print your name.
  5. Once the form is complete, you will retain the Seller’s copy. The purchaser keeps the Purchaser’s copy and the form labeled Registry copy is returned to the local law enforcement in the county where the purchaser resides. It is their responsibility to return the form.
Purchaser without have a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
  1. Before purchase they must obtain a License to Purchase form R10 (purchase permit) from their local law enforcement agency. This will complete their requirement for a federal background check.
  2. If the person is not known to you, verify their identity with photo id and make sure it is the same person listed on the permit.
  3. Fill in the blanks on the form and have the seller sign in the appropriate box. You, the seller, will sign and print your name.
  4. You will retain the seller copy. The purchaser will retain the purchase copy


Copies of Reports

Copies of incident Reports

Copies of Incident reports can be obtained at the Sheriff Office Monday thru Friday 8am-4pm. To ensure that the records person is there the day you are coming in it is advisable to call ahead to 989-673-8161 ex 2239.

Accident Report

Crash Reports are now purchased directly from the CLEMIS website. Click here to connect to CLEMIS.

Bad Check Policy

The Tuscola County Prosecutors Office has several requirements that must be met when they will handle a bad check complaint. Among other things a 5 day notice must be sent first by you to the person who wrote the check. It must be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, restricted delivery to addressee only. You can stop at the Prosecutors Office at the Tuscola County Courthouse to pickup a copy of a 5 day notice to send and to find out the full requirement that you must meet before they will prosecute.