Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I call 9-1-1 for everything now?

It is acceptable to call 9-1-1 for any question or concern regarding police, fire or medical emergencies. General questions regarding phone numbers, community events, weather and road closures should be directed to the appropriate agency.

How do I file a police report?

By calling 9-1-1 and having an officer or deputy sent to make the report. 9-1-1 dispatchers are unable to take a report over the phone.

How do I obtain a copy of a police/traffic report?

Contact the agency that filed the report.

How do I get someone to leave my property?

For an unwanted person or someone that is trespassing, call 9-1-1 and have law enforcement assist you. However, to get a tenant or someone that has established temporary or permanent residence, you must have them evicted.

What is the law regarding car seats for children?

Children up to 25 pounds must ride facing the rear of the vehicle in an approved car restraint seat. Children 26-40 pounds and up to 4 years of age must ride in an approved car seat. It is recommended that small children be in the back seat of any vehicle containing air bags.

How do I find out if someone is in jail?

Any questions regarding inmates in jail should be directed to the Tuscola County Jail at (989) 673-8161.

How do I get information about local events in the area (ie: fireworks, parade information, etc.)?

Information about local events is usually posted in the newspapers. Often, the local television stations or radio stations will also have this information. Resources listed below are a great source of information and help to keep the volume of non-emergency 9-1-1 calls to a minimum.

Tuscola County